Protecting your oral health and having fresh breath often means brushing your teeth when you are on the go. Whether you are traveling for work, taking a hiking or camping holiday, or simply out and about on a busy day, having a great electric travel toothbrush is a convenient way to take care of your teeth whenever you need to. Let’s learn more about the best travel electric toothbrushes available.
- Travel Electric Toothbrush Reviews
- Philips One by Sonicare Rechargeable Toothbrush HY1200/06
- Voom Sonic Go 1 Battery-Operated Electric Toothbrush
- quip Adult Electric Toothbrush
- Go Plus Sonic Toothbrush by Pop Sonic with Carrying Case
- Oral-B Pro-Health Clinical Battery Power Electric Toothbrush
- Gleem Battery Power Electric Toothbrush with Travel Case
- Colgate 360 Optic Sonic Battery Power Toothbrush
- Buyer’s Guide
Travel Electric Toothbrush Reviews
Philips One by Sonicare Rechargeable Toothbrush HY1200/06
The Philips One by Sonicare is a compact electric toothbrush with a sleek travel case. The battery is rechargeable via USB, and it can last up to 30 days on a single charge. It has the most popular features of an electric toothbrush, including the Philips SmartTimer and Quadpacing features, with micro-vibrations that get your teeth extra clean, anywhere you are.
The Philips One by Sonicare Rechargeable Toothbrush is a compact electric toothbrush that weighs just over 6 ounces. The internal battery is rechargeable with the included USB cable, so it can easily be charged along with any of your other devices, and it can last up to 30 days between charges. This toothbrush has micro-vibrations that gently clean and polish teeth.
The built-in timing functions include a QuadTimer that pauses briefly every 30 seconds to remind you to switch quadrants in your mouth, and a 2-minute SmarTimer so you brush for the dentist-recommended duration.
This toothbrush comes with a soft bristle brush head, but is compatible with a wide range of Philips One replacement heads so you can choose your preferred bristle configuration.
The Philips One comes with a sleek travel case, and is available in a wide range of popular colors, including black, shimmer, snow, mango, miami coral, midnight navy blue, and mint light blue.
- Long life on a single charge
- Compact and lightweight
- Included travel case
- Built-in timing features
- Wide range of fashion colors available
- Although it shares the Sonicare brand, this is not a sonic toothbrush
- Replacement brush heads are more expensive than brands that are compatible with generic replacements
Voom Sonic Go 1 Battery-Operated Electric Toothbrush
The Voom Sonic Go 1 is a compact electric toothbrush designed for clean teeth on the go. It is powered by a AAA battery and delivers a powerful 22,000 vibrations per minute. It has a vented cap that promotes good hygiene by allowing the toothbrush to ventilate and dry while in the case, and comes in a choice of vivid colors.
The Voom Sonic Go 1 has all the features people want in a daily toothbrush, in a sleek form perfect for travel. It features 22,000 vibrations per minute for great oral health. The internal timer notifies you at 30 seconds to change quadrants, and it has a 2-minute timer so you brush for the recommended amount of time.
Battery power makes it easy to use anywhere, even when electricity isn’t available, and it comes with a replacement brush head and a ventilated cap for travel. The Voom Sonic Go 1 is available in metallic rose, hawaiian blue, metallic red, pink, purple, royal blue, and purple.
- Compact and ready for travel
- AAA battery is convenient and easily replaced
- High vibrations per minute
- Built-in timing functions
- Wide range of fashion colors available
- Battery and replacement brush head included
- Ventilated lid for hygiene
- Although “sonic” is in the brand name, this is not a sonic toothbrush
quip Adult Electric Toothbrush
The quip adult electric toothbrush is a slim size and lightweight perfect for travel. It can operate for up to 3 months on a single AAA battery, so you never have to worry about not having a charge when you need it. And the included versatile travel cover keeps the toothbrush clean and hygienic, while also allowing you to easily mount the quip on mirrors, glass, tile, and other surfaces for convenient storage.
The quip adult electric toothbrush is ADA accepted to remove plaque, and reduce and prevent gingivitis. The sonic vibrations provide deep cleaning without irritating sensitive teeth and gums, and the soft, round-tipped bristles are gentle and effective. It has a built-in tongue scraper that removes bacteria and freshens breath.
The quip has a 30-second quad timer and a 2-minute overall timer. The slim metal handle is sleek and compact, with no cords or charger. It comes with an AAA battery and can go for up to 3 months between battery changes.
The multi-use cover protects the quip when traveling, but also works as a stand for the toothbrush, and allows you to easily mount it on a mirror or glass surface for easy storage and access anywhere you need it. It’s water-resistant and shower-safe. The quip adult electric toothbrush comes in dark aqua, copper, gold, silver, or slate colors.
- Compact and lightweight for travel
- Included case doubles as a stand and mount for the toothbrush
- Long battery life
- AAA batteries are convenient and easy to replace
- Good choice of fashion colors
- Sonic vibrations for deep, gentle cleaning
- Timer features
- Tongue scraper
- Battery power can weaken over time, making the toothbrush feel less powerful and effective
- More expensive than toothbrushes with similar features
Go Plus Sonic Toothbrush by Pop Sonic with Carrying Case
The Go Plus is a travel-friendly sonic toothbrush with the reliability and features you’ll want to use every day. It weighs less than 4 ounces and comes with a sleek travel case. The advanced motor has two speeds for a deeper clean boosted by sonic power.
The Go Plus Sonic Toothbrush by Pop Sonic is a sleek, stylish toothbrush perfect for home and on the road. It has an advanced motor and two speed functions: use 24,000 vibrations for the deepest clean, or 18,000 for gentler cleaning of sensitive mouths. It also has a 30-second quad pacer and 2-minute timer.
The contoured brush head has durable DuPont nylon bristles, and it comes with a spare brush head. This toothbrush is powered by an AAA battery, and comes in rose gold, brilliant blue, emerald green, punchy purple, rose pink, or silver colors. It is backed by a 1 year warranty.
- Two speed sonic toothbrush for cleanliness and oral health
- Compact size and included case make it convenient for travel
- AAA battery is convenient and easily replaced
- Available in a wide range of fashionable colors
- 1 year warranty
- Not as powerful as corded sonic toothbrushes
Oral-B Pro-Health Clinical Battery Power Electric Toothbrush
The Oral-B Pro-Health Clinical Electric Toothbrush is a battery-powered toothbrush with precision brush heads that deliver dentist-inspired cleaning. The powerful motor is designed to perform consistently throughout the battery life, instead of gradually weakening over time. Oral-B is the #1 dentist-recommended toothbrush brand, and this battery-operated model is a great toothbrush for superior clean at home or on the go.
The Oral-B Pro-Health Clinical toothbrush reaches deep between teeth to remove more plaque. Dentist-inspired design cleans tooth-by-tooth. This toothbrush is powered by two AA batteries that are easy to replace, and has an advanced design for consistent power delivery throughout the battery life.
It is compatible with all Oral-B electric toothbrush heads, so you can choose their famous CrossAction, Sensitive Gum Care, FlossAction, or 3D white replacement brush heads for this toothbrush.
- Powerful motor and deep, tooth-by-tooth cleaning
- Compatible with Oral-B replacement brush heads
- AA batteries are convenient and easily replaced
- High quality brand with great reputation
- Larger and heavier than most toothbrushes designed for portability
- Does not come with a travel case
Gleem Battery Power Electric Toothbrush with Travel Case
The Gleem Battery Powered Electric toothbrush is slim and stylish, and comes with a ventilated travel case to keep the brush clean and protected. Powered by a AAA battery, it has a 30-second quad timer and a 2-minute brush timer, but also has a memory function that allows you to pause and resume brushing if necessary.
The Gleem Battery Powered Electric Toothbrush is sleek and stylish, easy to take anywhere. It’s powered by a replaceable included AAA battery for ultimate portability, and comes with a rugged ventilated travel case. The powerful motor has sonic vibrations to get your teeth extra clean, and soft nylon bristles with rounded filaments for gentle polishing.
The memory function lets you pause and resume brushing if you are interrupted, and it has quad timing and brush timing features. It is available in black and white.
- Sleek and compact for travel
- Comes with ventilated travel case
- AAA battery is convenient and easily replaced
- Only available in two colors
- Some people like the compact brush head size for extra maneuverability, some feel that it’s too small to be effective
Colgate 360 Optic Sonic Battery Power Toothbrush
The Colgate 360 is an incredibly simple, affordable electric sonic toothbrush that delivers 20,000 sonic vibrations with a touch. It has whitening polishing bristles and a tongue and cheek cleaner to clean the entire inside of your mouth. The replaceable battery makes this toothbrush easy to use anywhere.
The Colgate 360 Optic Sonic Battery Toothbrush has powerful cleaning in a convenient, compact size. It has 20,000 sonic strokes per minute, along with double whitening action in the polishing cups and bristles. The built-in tongue and cheek cleaner help to remove the bacteria that cause bad breath. It comes with a replaceable AAA battery, and is incredibly easy to use. This toothbrush does not have a replaceable brush head, but it is convenient and affordable.
- Powerful electric sonic teeth cleaning
- Built-in tongue and cheek cleaning surface
- Whitens teeth with specialized design
- Replaceable AAA battery included
- Simple and affordable
- Unable to replace the brush head when it wears out
- No automatic timing functions
- Does not come with a travel case
When choosing an electric travel toothbrush, here are a few of the top features to keep in mind:
Type of toothbrush for traveling: electric vs manual
While both electric and manual toothbrushes can effectively clean teeth, electric toothbrushes do remove 21% more plaque and reduce gingivitis by 11% more than manual toothbrushes. In addition, many electric toothbrushes have more advanced cleaning features, like oscillating bristles, sonic vibrations, adjustable speeds, and specialized brush heads that provide better cleaning and oral hygiene over manual toothbrushes.
However, using an electric toothbrush isn’t always easy and convenient for travel. You may not always have easy access to electricity or replacement batteries, and electric toothbrushes are larger and heavier than manual toothbrushes.
If your electric toothbrush runs out of power, you can still use it manually, but it is bulkier and heavier than a standard manual toothbrush. For activities like hiking and climbing, where every ounce matters, you may prefer an especially compact manual travel toothbrush like the FunkkOFF! TeethRefreshers.
Portability is incredibly important in an electric travel toothbrush. For ultimate portability, make sure to consider not just what the toothbrush measures, but also what it weighs. Toothbrushes with more powerful motors, sonic features, and internal batteries can weigh more than simpler electric travel toothbrushes with weaker motors and fewer features.
While style may not be a high priority for all travel toothbrushes, it’s still worth considering. If you plan on carrying your travel toothbrush with you for daily use at work, at school, or on the go, you may want to choose an electric travel toothbrush with a sleek style and equally sleek case.
Most electric toothbrushes are individually designed by the manufacturer, and often don’t fit in standard toothbrush travel cases, or even toothbrush cases designed for a different brand of electric toothbrush. It’s best to choose an electric travel toothbrush that comes with a matching case, to ensure the right fit without carrying a large, bulky case.
However, if your preferred electric toothbrush doesn’t come with a travel case, it can be compact and convenient to simply encase and protect the brush head with a case like this one from Haven.
Most standard electric toothbrushes come with charging bases that can be large, bulky, and cumbersome for travel. You may also need a power adapter in order to charge your toothbrush in different regions of the world. Instead of using a standard electric toothbrush with a large charging base, look for an electric travel toothbrush with either:
A replaceable battery. Most battery-powered electric travel toothbrushes use AA or AAA batteries that can easily be found and replaced nearly anywhere in the world. They never need to be plugged in, and can be used anywhere, any time. Be aware that, as the battery wears down, the toothbrush may lose motor power and not vibrate as powerfully as it did.
A USB-rechargeable motor. Electric travel toothbrushes that can be recharged via USB are incredibly convenient. They can be recharged along with most of your other devices, or by a power bank, or from a wall outlet with a USB port.
They also last for weeks on a single charge, so you don’t have to worry about keeping them charged up or managing additional cables for your toothbrush. Be aware that some of these types of toothbrushes may take a long time to recharge if they are completely drained, depending on the type of USB connection provided.
Generally speaking, you should replace the head on an electric toothbrush every 3 months, even if it is only used for travel and not used every day. Before choosing an electric toothbrush, research the cost and availability of replacement brush heads, so you can get the most value from the toothbrush. Some travel electric toothbrushes are compatible with generic replacement brush heads, which are the most affordable option.
Some brands only allow you to choose their proprietary replacement brush heads, which can become expensive over time. You may also want to choose replacement brush heads with specific features based on your needs, like whitening, plaque removal, or sensitive teeth options.
If you can’t easily replace the brush heads, an electric toothbrush quickly becomes unsanitary and useless, so it’s good to research and know your options ahead of time, and choose a brand that includes a spare brush head with the initial toothbrush purchase.
Can you take an electric toothbrush in hand luggage?
Yes, you can. When traveling by air with an electric toothbrush, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- The TSA has approved electric travel toothbrushes for hand luggage with no restrictions. However, the TSA does have limits on the amount of toothpaste you can keep in carry-on luggage. If you are packing your toothbrush and toothpaste together, remember that your toothpaste should be less than 3.4 ounces, and be available for security inspection before boarding.
- If you are traveling with a very expensive electric travel toothbrush, it is best kept in your hand luggage. Expensive items can sometimes be stolen from checked bags, and carry-on bags are more secure.
- Remove batteries from any battery-operated devices before travel. It often happens that items are shifted and knocked around when traveling, regardless of whether bags are checked or carried on. Many times a power switch can be accidentally activated, causing the device to operate inside your luggage and draining the battery. Remove the battery and pack it separately, or use a case or tape to prevent switches from activating while you travel.
How long should you keep a travel toothbrush?
Three months. Even if you rarely use a travel toothbrush, and the bristles seem to be fresh and effective, toothbrush heads should still be replaced every three months. Once you have used a toothbrush a few times, the bacteria from your mouth and teeth can continue to live in the toothbrush and make it less effective for cleaning the mouth. To prolong the life of your travel toothbrush, soak it in hydrogen peroxide or antibacterial mouthwash after use, and allow it to dry completely between uses.
What is the most sanitary way to store a toothbrush?
If you use your travel toothbrush a few times a year, and want to keep it clean and healthy between uses, here is the best way to store it:
- When you return home from travel, clean and sanitize a manual toothbrush or an electric toothbrush head. You can sanitize it by immersing it in boiling water for 3 minutes, or by washing it in the silverware compartment of your dishwasher without soap or detergent.
- After sanitizing, allow the toothbrush to dry completely. Place the toothbrush in a well-ventilated area with a lot of dry air circulation and allow it to dry.
- After drying, store the toothbrush:
- Upright, in a container with lots of air circulation. Avoid allowing your toothbrush to touch anything else while it is being stored.
- In a sunny window where it will receive sanitizing UV rays. Sunlight creates a dry environment and kills a wide range of germs that will help keep your toothbrush clean and hygienic.
- Outside of the bathroom. Bathrooms do not typically have the highest air quality in the home, and are often damp, humid environments that can foster bacteria or mold and mildew.
The ADA recommends not storing your toothbrush sealed into a case, tucked into a drawer or cupboard, and left for long periods of time. Keeping it dry, with good light and air circulation, is the best way to prevent germs and bacteria on your toothbrush between uses.